Sunday 3 February 2008

Arrival of the book and the first challenge!

Exciting day when the parcel from the USA arrived containing my copy of Christopher Nejman's book "Pillows- Designer Sewing Techniques" and DVD finally arrived!
I eagerly opened the parcel and looked through the book- the pillows were amazing to see but I thought no way can I do that! Not the correct mind set at all!! So, panic over I went shopping with book in hand to see what I could find to start the first challenge that had been set- the Harem of Colour pillow on page 25, soon to be known as HOC.
Punching was fun using fine exotic fabrics such as satins,silks, lame and eyelash fabrics. The sewing techniques were hard at first, but practising paid off and they were completed. Other steps were incorporated to add the glitz and shine of the jewels to portray this Harem of Colour.

I learnt many things whilst doing this first pillow:how to look at things from a different perspective, new techniques which stretched me, the joy when it worked and all done with the help of the patient teachers on the entry group and many helpful suggestions from the very patient man himself, Christopher Nejman, who was kindly giving his time to help myself and others out along the way . I was now becoming a FCA at last- A Fibre Construction Artist!

It is amazing to think that I am able to participate and learn in a group that is based in another part of the world but we are becoming unified and all pulling together to develop this new exciting way of creating. I am so glad that I am able to be part of this adventure in punching land!
The challenges are difficult at times, but this is an adventure and who knows where it may lead...

No comments: